Saturday, October 29, 2011
Broadway around 106th and 107th Streets
This is Broadway at West 106th street prior to the subway being built. The picture was taken September 25, 1900 and the path up the center malls with their very old trees (elms?) would soon disappear.
The building straight up the path behind the trees is the Manhasset, part of the big wave of apartment building development in anticipation of the opening of the subway. Originally designed by Joesph Wolf, construction began in 1899. The first 8 floors were finished by 1901 but the developer defaulted. A new owner steps in with the architects Janes & Leo who finish the building with three more stories and the distinctive mansard roof. Along with their Dorilton on Broadway and 71rst street, Janes & Leo's Manhasset is a New York City landmark.
The group of trees on the left is part of Bloomingdale Square. Now known as Straus Park as the Titanic has not been built yet. Behind the trees is the still standing but substantially altered apartment buildings (now joined together as one) that are the home to the Indian Cafe and 107 West.
This is West 106th Street and Broadway looking east from the center mall. This building, on the south east corner of 106th and Broadway, is home to a pool hall, now the location of Body Strength gym.
This is the side of the building on 106th and Broadway. In the previous picture you can see that there is a pool hall in residence on the 2nd floor. The sign on the third floor is advertising a "Modern" Hebrew school. The 2nd floor windows in this picture are displaying the Star of David. There is Hebrew on the awning over the entrance to the upper floors as well as on the store front to our right. In addition the little wood frame building to the east (our left) has something in Hebrew in it's store front as well. That little building is still standing
This is the Bloomingdale (Dutch) Reformed church. This is actually the 4th building. The first three were located at what is now (approximately anyway) 68th and Broadway. This church lasted only 10 years, the land becoming more valuable than what was on it (a common theme in this town) and gave way to the present 949 West End Avenue.
This is the third Bloomingdale Reform Church at 68th and Broadway. It could seat a 1000 people. The buildings to the left in the background are on Central Park West at 72nd street. That is The Dakota on the left and the Hotel Majestic on the right. The hotel, which stood on the south side of 72nd street and Central Park West was replaced by the art deco twin towers of The Majestic Apartments.